Green Chili Chicken Soup…It doesn’t get any easier than this!!!
What if I told you that you can have all the flavors of green enchiladas in a soup? Yup, it’s true. No filling, rolling the tortillas and putting them in the oven to bake. We’re talking about throwing all the ingredients in a pot and voila in 30 minutes you have the most flavorful, delicious, and beyond simple soup. Perfect for a cold day or just cuz.
With temps heading into the teens this weekend here in MN, I am all about a warm cozy bowl of soup. I love this soup for so many reasons. Let’s break them down shall we:
- Cooks in 30 minutes..yes please!!
- It’s healthy..new years resolution friendly
- It’s gluten free and can be dairy free too sans some of the toppings
- Tastes delicious..well yeah!
- Made in one pot…yup minimal clean up
The one thing that makes this recipe so easy, is the concept of “speed scratch cooking”. Have you heard of it? It’s where you take a ready made product and combine it with scratch ingredients to make something amazing in less time. This is a game changing concept as far as I’m concerned.
For this speed scratch recipe, I’m taking an already made green enchilada sauce and making this my key flavor driver for the recipe. The other time saver is the use of left over rotisserie chicken. Whoever came up with the idea of selling already made roasted chickens at the grocery store was brilliant to say the least. You could also make the Four Ingredient Roasted Chicken and save the left overs for this recipe. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend it!
The only thing this recipe is missing now, are the multitude of yummy toppings. This is where you get to customize the soup to your liking. If I’m serving this to multiple guests, I like to set up a topping bar. Why? Because it’s fun. Here are some ideas for the topping bar:
- Cheese..lots of cheese (queso fresco or shredded cheddar my faves)
- Sliced Avocado
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Jalapeno
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Strips & Chips
- Squeeze of Lime
I made my own tortilla strips and chips for this recipe. So easy, and they are baked instead of fried. This keeps the recipe healthier and they bake in under 20 minutes. Topped with a sprinkle of smoked paprika and sea salt…YUM!!
I can’t wait to share more of the exciting recipes that I’m working on with you. Would love to hear what types of dishes you all want to see. Hope you enjoy this one!Print
Have left over rotisserie chicken? Then, this easy speed scratch green chili enchilada soup is for you. It comes together in less than 30 minutes and tastes amazing.
- ½ Onion (diced)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- ½ t. Cumin
- ½ t. Oregano
- 32 oz. Chicken Broth
- 1 Pouch Green Enchilada Sauce (I used and love Frontera)
- 1 ½ C. Cooked Rotisserie Chicken (shredded or cubed)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Cans of White Beans
- 2 T. Olive Oil
Tortilla Chips & Strips Ingredients:
- 2 t. Grape seed Oil
- 1 t. Smoked Paprika
- 4-5 Corn Tortillas
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with optional toppings of sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, chopped avocado and tortilla chips, etc.
Tortilla Chips & Strips Instructions:
- Cut tortillas into strips or triangles and place in a bowl.
- Drizzle with grape seed oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and smoked paprika.
- Toss until well coated.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip.
- Return to oven for 5-10 more minutes or until crispy.