Grilled Shishito Peppers!!
OMG friends, have you ever tried a grilled shishito pepper? Or, I should probably be asking if you’ve even heard of such a thing. Shishito peppers are a slightly sweet East Asian variety of pepper. Before I tried them at a restaurant, I had never heard of them before. It was love at first taste. They are really amazing, and I am not just talking about how they taste.
The most interesting part, is that 1 in 10 carry a spicy punch, while the others are very mild to no heat at all. This is where food get’s fun to eat. There is not any way to tell which ones are hot. Trust me, I have analyzed the shape, color, etc. etc. and they are all masquerading on the platter as mild innocent little peppers until bam, you get a hot one!
So, you maybe asking yourself, why would you even want to take part in such a risky undertaking. Well, if you like heat, there’s that, but for the rest of us, the risk is well worth it. Now, I don’t mean to scare you away from trying these if you hate heat like I do. If you do happen to get a hot one, you’re looking at a heat index compared to a lot less than a jalapeño..that’s not so bad.
There are many things to love about these peppers:
- They are quick and easy to make
- You can eat the whole pepper, seeds and all (just not the stem)
- They are healthy
- They are delicious
I like to cook them on the grill, with just the addition of two ingredients – toasted sesame oil and soy sauce. How’s that for easy? The benefit of grilling is the wonderful smoky flavor you get and the bonus..they come together in minutes. They make a great little appetizer or side or in my case possibly a main course.
They are not the easiest peppers to find, but I lucked out this season. My local health food store, that has their own organic farm, grew them for the first time. Since nobody in a 5 mile radius of the store knew what the heck they were…all for me. I am not joking, I must have bought at least 20 bags of them. I think I may have a slight shishito pepper addiction.
There you have it my friends. A simple, 3 ingredient recipe, that is sure to be tasty, and better yet just plain fun to eat.
Simple, easy, and delicious grilled shishito peppers with just 3 ingredients.
- 1/2 lb. Shishito Peppers
- 4 T. Soy Sauce
- 2 t. Toasted Sesame Oil
- Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Heat up grill.
- Wash and dry peppers.
- Add peppers to a medium sized bowl.
- Drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil until well coated.
- Toss peppers to make sure all peppers are coated.
- Remove peppers from marinade and place on grill. Set bowl aside.
- Grill peppers until they begin to blister and are slightly brown.
- Remove from grill and add back to bowl with marinade until all remaining peppers are grilled.
- Toss in the bowl with remaining marinade to coat again and serve.
- Sprinkle with sesames seeds and a little course salt (optional)