Curry corn chowder with cilantro lime shrimp…perfect for winding down summer and welcoming cooler weather.
Today, I want to share my transition to fall recipe. This chowder feels sorta summer with the corn and cilantro lime shrimp yet is whispering fall. This has to be, hands down, one of my favorite soups. It is chocked full of colorful veggies and smokey bacon. The way the sweetness of the red pepper and sweet potato compliment the smokiness of the bacon takes this recipe to new heights. I am a huge fan of sweet and smoky combos, almost as much as salty and sweet. You know what I’m talking about…Right? All I have to say is Yummmm!
So, even though we are at the tail end of fresh corn season, you can still make this chowder with frozen corn and it tastes just as good. I like to give you recipes that have lots of flexibility. It’s all about using what’s on hand and readily available. I want to keep things simple, because there are more things in life to stress over and cooking shouldn’t be one of them. So let’s have fun!
Now, let’s have a quick convo about the cilantro lime shrimp. You know, this post really has not one, but two recipes. You get the chowder recipe and the shrimp is just the extra bonus. And let me tell you, it’s a good one. These shrimp get their flavor from a quick marinade of:
- olive oil
- fresh ginger
How could anything with those ingredients be bad? You can never go wrong in my books with garlic, lime and cilantro. OMG, I think I just started craving guacamole. We will have to save that for another post. My husband claims, I make a killer guac!
I gotta say, the addition of the curry in this chowder really brings this recipe home for me. I used a sweet curry which is not spicy at all, and get’s it’s sweetness from the addition of cinnamon. It is my go to curry since I am not a fan of heat. If your not a fan of curry, well maybe we can’t be friends. No really, on a serious note, I would give it a try, because I just may convert you with this recipe. Trust, trust, trust!
Stay tuned for some yummy fall recipes coming to the blog soon. I can’t wait to share them with you. If you make this delicious curry corn chowder with cilantro lime shrimp or any of the recipes on the blog, I would love to hear what you think. Drop me a line in the comments below and make sure to come visit me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest. Happy almost fall!!Print
A delicious and hearty chowder kicked up with curry and topped with yummy cilantro lime shrimp.
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 Red pepper (diced)
- 2 C. Corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 T. Sweet Curry Powder (I used Penzey’s)
- 1 t. Salt
- 3 Strips of bacon (diced)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (cubed)
- 32 oz. Chicken stock
- 1 Can of coconut milk
- Cilantro for garnish
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Ingredients:
- 1 lb. Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 t. Fresh cilantro
- 2 Cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3 T. Olive oil
- 1 t. Fresh ginger (minced)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Cracked pepper
- Saute bacon in a medium pot until slightly brown and fat has been rendered.
- Add onion, garlic and red pepper. Cook until soft.
- Add corn, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, broth and curry powder.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Serve with cilantro lime shrimp.
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Instructions:
- Blend all ingredients in a medium size bowl except shrimp.
- Add shrimp to bowl and marinade for about 15 minutes.
- Saute shrimp in pan 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Serve on top of curry corn chowder.
- In order to make the chowder vegetarian, omit the bacon and shrimp.
- The shrimp can be skewered and grilled. Serve on a salad, rice or quinoa for another meal idea.